Mac installation package
Oliver Buerschaper
2009-08-12 15:35:53 UTC
Dear all,

I've finally got around to actually make the Mac installation package
happen :-) So please find a test version of the package (for Intel
Macs running Tiger or higher) at

http://svn.contextgarden.net/minimals/installer/osx/

This package is identical to the Minimals distribution as of
2009.06.11 13:24 except for the following:

1. It only contains MkIV
2. Configuration files are adapted to Mac OS X
3. It doesn't contain scripts etc. needed for other platforms

The installation experience should be rather pleasant, since you'll
just have to double-click the installation package. After the
installation is complete head over to "System Preferences > TeX
Distribution" and you should find a new item called "ConTeXt
2009-06-11-beta" alongside "MacTeX 2008" etc. This means that by now
you should be able to typeset your documents with a simple

context myfile.tex

in the Terminal. (TeXShop support is easy and will be included in the
next revision.)

For the more curious: the package installs its TDS to /usr/local/
context/2009-06-11-beta and sets up a per user cache at ~/.context/
2009-06-11-beta. The directory for user additions is ~/Library/texmf
and is shared with TeXLive. Fonts installed at the usual locations in
Mac OS X should be recognized by ConTeXt as well. For the even more
curious, there's also a readme file in the disk image ;-)

I'd be glad if as many people as possible on this list would give it a
try and report back their experience. Once the package turns out to
work as intended I'll make it available to the wider public.

Many thanks in advance to all testers!

Happy TeXing,
Oliver
Hans Hagen
2009-08-12 19:21:32 UTC
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
in the Terminal. (TeXShop support is easy and will be included in the
next revision.)
then also consider texworks

thanks

Hans

Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
Jörg Hecke
2009-08-14 09:11:27 UTC
Hi,
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
I'd be glad if as many people as possible on this list would give it a
try and report back their experience. Once the package turns out to
work as intended I'll make it available to the wider public.
I gave it a try and it works quite nice. Since I am currently using
Context/MKII (Installed via the TexLive 2008 distribution) for my
documents, your solution would provide even me with a fairly simple
method to use the current minimals installation and to try out MKIV.
Even switching between "Context-2009-06-11-beta", "gwTeX" and
"TeXLive-2008" by using the TeX Distribution system preference panel
works.
A Testdocument works with "TeXLive-2008" (texexec
produktvorschlag.tex) as well as with your installation
"Context-2009-06-11-beta" (context produktvorschlag.tex)

Another Question though:
------------------------
Would it be possible to install (optionally perhaps) third party
modules like t-letter and t-simplefonts also? I would like to try to
use Myriad Pro and using simplefonts seems to be the simplest solution
for that (at least for me when reading through the wiki. I don't think
that I am able to create typescripts, support files for TeX etc.).

Or can I install these third party modules by myself in your
"Context-2009-06-11-beta" tree (downloading first-setup.sh in your
folder "/usr/local/context/2009-06-11-beta" failed for me, perhaps due
to missing rights?)?

Many thanks for working on such a nice installer package for such a
simple users as me on the Mac.

Best Regards

Jörg
Oliver Buerschaper
2009-08-14 17:54:21 UTC
Post by Jörg Hecke
I gave it a try and it works quite nice. Since I am currently using
Context/MKII (Installed via the TexLive 2008 distribution) for my
documents, your solution would provide even me with a fairly simple
method to use the current minimals installation and to try out MKIV.
Even switching between "Context-2009-06-11-beta", "gwTeX" and
"TeXLive-2008" by using the TeX Distribution system preference panel
works.
A Testdocument works with "TeXLive-2008" (texexec
produktvorschlag.tex) as well as with your installation
"Context-2009-06-11-beta" (context produktvorschlag.tex)
:-)
Post by Jörg Hecke
Would it be possible to install (optionally perhaps) third party
modules like t-letter and t-simplefonts also?
Yeah, that should be doable. The Apple installer definitely supports
packages with several (optional) components. And I think it's a very
nice thing to have right out of the box. I'll put it on the roadmap.

In the meantime you may install any third party material manually (see
below).
Post by Jörg Hecke
Or can I install these third party modules by myself in your
"Context-2009-06-11-beta" tree (downloading first-setup.sh in your
folder "/usr/local/context/2009-06-11-beta" failed for me, perhaps
due to missing rights?)?
Well, you can. If you want these modules to be available to all local
users of your Mac place the entire directory hierarchy of each module
in the tree /usr/local/context/2009-06-11-beta/texmf-local. You'll
need admin access though since /usr/local/context is a protected
system directory.

If you want the modules to be available only to yourself put their
files in ~/Library/texmf (where ~ denotes your home directory). For
this you don't need admin rights. Be warned though that the ~/Library/
texmf tree is shared with TeXLive. Hence anything you put there
supersedes older versions of the same stuff contained in TeXLive and
this might cause some funny interferences when you run an old ConTeXt
from the TeXLive distribution ...

In both cases you need to issue

luatools --generate

before ConTeXt recognizes the new additions. If you installed the
modules in the system location you need to repeat this step for each
local user.

Note that this package is still experimental so ~/Library/texmf (as
well as most other things) might be subject to change.

Oliver
Jörg Hecke
2009-08-18 13:10:11 UTC
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Post by Jörg Hecke
Would it be possible to install (optionally perhaps) third party
modules like t-letter and t-simplefonts also?
Yeah, that should be doable. The Apple installer definitely supports
packages with several (optional) components. ... I'll put it on the
roadmap.
Great. Many thanks for that!
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Well, you can. If you want these modules to be available to all
local users of your Mac place the entire directory hierarchy of
each module in the tree /usr/local/context/2009-06-11-beta/texmf-
local. You'll need admin access though since /usr/local/context is a
protected system directory.
I knew I need an installer. :-(
I have downloaded the archive "t-simplefonts-2009.08.01.zip" from <http://modules.contextgarden.net/simplefonts
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
and placed this zip file in the place "/usr/local/context/
2009-06-11-beta/texmf-local" and switched to the terminal:

2009-08-19 08:43:16 UTC
?
---Terminal Output---
Well, it seems that your instructions did basically work, since the
module simplefonts is loaded. But nevertheless the simple test file
aborts and complains about " Undefined control sequence. l.707
\startprocesscommacommand[\simplefonts!weight]".
Do you have an idea what went wrong on my side?
Yes. Although the module is found it crashes during initialization.
Observe that

---
\usemodule[simplefonts]

\starttext

This tests whether the module \type{t-simplefonts} is loaded
successfully.

\stoptext
---

already hangs. The reason is that the latest version of the t-
simplefonts module (which is the one you obtained) makes use of
ConTeXt kernel commands (\startprocesscommacommand) which seem to have
only been introduced lately. In other words, the version I packaged
into the experimental installer is too old for the current module. So
not your fault.

Keep in mind though that this might happen frequently without warning
since you're working with development code here. For the moment I'm
merely trying to establish something along the lines of a nightly
installer build ... since there's no regression test suite I can't
even test whether anything works but the most basic features. Also,
modules don't check for a minimum kernel version required :-(

Best,
Oliver
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-19 16:37:21 UTC
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Post by Jörg Hecke
[...]
You're right and the command was added *for* the simplefonts module :)
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Keep in mind though that this might happen frequently without
warning since you're working with development code here. For the
moment I'm merely trying to establish something along the lines of a
nightly installer build ... since there's no regression test suite I
can't even test whether anything works but the most basic features.
Also, modules don't check for a minimum kernel version required :-(
There is a command to check the context version

%D \macros
%D {doifolderversionelse}
%D
%D We start with a macro specially for Aditya who wants to be able
%D to use development versions of \MKIV\ for real documents.
%D
%D \starttyping
%D \doifolderversionelse\contextversion{2001.02.03}{yes}{no}
%D \doifolderversionelse\contextversion{3001.02.03}{yes}{no}
%D \stoptyping

and end the module and output a message in the terminal but then you
will
you will get a error message in the document itself because a few
commands
(e.g. \setmainfont) are no longer defined.

Wolfgang
Oliver Buerschaper
2009-08-20 08:23:09 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
[...]
Would it then be possible to have ConTeXt grind to a complete halt
once it encounters a module whose minimum requirements aren't met?
Since TeX would have to give up on the document anyway perhaps an
early bail out could be the more graceful option ... what do you think?

Oliver
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-20 13:21:13 UTC
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Would it then be possible to have ConTeXt grind to a complete halt
once it encounters a module whose minimum requirements aren't met?
\doifolderversionelse\contextversion{2100.01.01}\normalend\donothing
%\doifolderversionelse\contextversion{2009.07.01}\normalend\donothing

\starttext
Hello
\stoptext
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Since TeX would have to give up on the document anyway perhaps an
early bail out could be the more graceful option ... what do you think?
I can add this test to my module together with a message at the
terminal.

Wolfgang
Oliver Buerschaper
2009-08-22 11:47:06 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Would it then be possible to have ConTeXt grind to a complete halt
once it encounters a module whose minimum requirements aren't met?
\doifolderversionelse\contextversion{2100.01.01}\normalend\donothing
%\doifolderversionelse\contextversion{2009.07.01}\normalend\donothing
\starttext
Hello
\stoptext
That's great! It's almost what I was looking for ... yet I think
\normalend might not be drastic enough ;-) Namely, running this
example with

context test.tex

gives me the following terminal output:

---
MTXrun | run 1: luatex --fmt="/Users/oliver/.context/2009-06-13-beta/
luatex-cache/context/18b584d8d585db5fc4cbfa8499d343d8/formats/cont-en"
--lua="/Users/oliver/.context/2009-06-13-beta/luatex-cache/context/
18b584d8d585db5fc4cbfa8499d343d8/formats/cont-en.lui" --backend=pdf "./
general-0002.tex"
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.40.5-2009061123 (Web2C 2009)
\write18 enabled.
(general-0002.tex
color : system all is global activated
color : system gray is global activated
color : mpcmyk color space is supported
color : mpspot color space is supported
color : system rgb is global activated
color : system all is global activated

ConTeXt ver: 2009.06.13 13:37 MKIV fmt: 2009.8.15 int: english/
english

system : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/context/2009-06-13-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/
cont-new.tex
systems : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
(/usr/local/context/2009-06-13-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/
cont-new.mkiv) (/usr/local/context/2009-06-13-beta/texmf-context/tex/
context/base/cont-mtx.tex))
system : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/local/context/2009-06-13-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/
cont-fil.tex
)
system : cont-sys.rme loaded
(/usr/local/context/2009-06-13-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/user/
cont-sys.rme (/usr/local/context/2009-06-13-beta/texmf-context/tex/
context/base/type-tmf.tex) (/usr/local/context/2009-06-13-beta/texmf-
context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex (/usr/local/context/2009-06-13-
beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.mkiv)) (/usr/local/
context/2009-06-13-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex (/
usr/local/context/2009-06-13-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-
otf.mkiv)))
system : general-0002.top loaded
(general-0002.top)
fonts : preloading latin modern fonts
bodyfont : 12pt rm is loaded
language : language en is active
)
mkiv lua stats : used config path - /usr/local/context/
2009-06-13-beta/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
mkiv lua stats : used cache path - /Users/oliver/.context/
2009-06-13-beta
mkiv lua stats : input load time - 0.022 seconds
mkiv lua stats : stored bytecode data - 170 modules, 45 tables,
215 chunks
mkiv lua stats : cleaned up reserved nodes - 18 nodes, 8 lists of 1411
mkiv lua stats : node memory usage - 18 glue_spec, 2 dir
mkiv lua stats : loaded patterns - en:us:pat:exc:2
mkiv lua stats : startup time - 0.706 seconds (including
runtime option file processing)
mkiv lua stats : callbacks - direct: 56, indirect:
4741, total: 4797
mkiv lua stats : loaded fonts - 31 files: lmmono12-
regular.otf lmmono8-regular.otf lmmono9-regular.otf lmroman12-bold.otf
lmroman12-regular.otf lmroman7-bold.otf lmroman7-regular.otf lmroman9-
bold.otf lmroman9-regular.otf lmsans12-regular.otf lmsans8-regular.otf
lmsans9-regular.otf eufb10.tfm eufb7.tfm eufb9.tfm eufm10.tfm
eufm7.tfm eufm9.tfm msam10.tfm msam7.tfm msbm10.tfm msbm7.tfm
lmex10.tfm lmmi12.tfm lmmi7.tfm lmmi9.tfm lmmib10.tfm lmmib7.tfm
lmsy10.tfm lmsy7.tfm lmsy9.tfm
mkiv lua stats : fonts load time - 0.369 seconds
mkiv lua stats : result saved in file - general-0002.pdf
mkiv lua stats : luatex banner - this is luatex, version
beta-0.40.5
mkiv lua stats : control sequences - 29596 of 165536
mkiv lua stats : current memory usage - 29 MB (ctx: 29 MB)
mkiv lua stats : runtime - 1.242 seconds
MTXrun | total runtime: 1.270
---

This states erronously that the result was saved in a PDF file (sixth
line from the bottom) although it wasn't (which is correct, of course).

What's more important, the exit status of the context command is 0
(via echo $?) indicating that there was no problem at all! This might
turn out problematic as soon as documents are processed in a batch
run ... (like e.g. a regression test suite ;-)
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Since TeX would have to give up on the document anyway perhaps an
early bail out could be the more graceful option ... what do you think?
I can add this test to my module together with a message at the
terminal.
This would be wonderful!

Perhaps one could even integrate this requirement check into the
module loading code of the kernel. For example, one might enforce that
each valid module has to declare a field like "minkernelversion" in
its header ... just thinking out loud.

Oliver
Hans Hagen
2009-08-22 13:05:18 UTC
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Would it then be possible to have ConTeXt grind to a complete halt
once it encounters a module whose minimum requirements aren't met?
\doifolderversionelse\contextversion{2100.01.01}\normalend\donothing
%\doifolderversionelse\contextversion{2009.07.01}\normalend\donothing
\starttext
Hello
\stoptext
That's great! It's almost what I was looking for ... yet I think
\normalend might not be drastic enough ;-) Namely, running this example
with
I'll add:

\unprotect

\def\forcequitjob#1%
{\writestatus\m!systems{forcing quit: #1}%
\batchmode
\dorecurse\textlevel\stoptext
\normalend}

\protect

\starttext
test \forcequitjob{whatever}
\stoptext

Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-23 13:11:51 UTC
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
What's more important, the exit status of the context command is 0
(via echo $?) indicating that there was no problem at all! This
might turn out problematic as soon as documents are processed in a
batch run ... (like e.g. a regression test suite ;-)
*You* want to write a test suite for ConTeXt?
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Perhaps one could even integrate this requirement check into the
module loading code of the kernel. For example, one might enforce
that each valid module has to declare a field like
"minkernelversion" in its header ... just thinking out loud.
The problem with such systems is they lead always to incompatibilities
with older
ConTeXt installations (think about TeXLive) and we had one at the end
of last year
when Hans changed the multilingual interface to allow a persian
interface.

Wolfgang
Aditya Mahajan
2009-08-23 15:22:38 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
What's more important, the exit status of the context command is 0 (via
echo $?) indicating that there was no problem at all! This might turn out
problematic as soon as documents are processed in a batch run ... (like
e.g. a regression test suite ;-)
*You* want to write a test suite for ConTeXt?
The test suite is there. There is even a script in the test suit that
compares the outputs of two versions at pixel level. All we need is people
to submit tests and then someone to monitor the test suite. See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Test
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Perhaps one could even integrate this requirement check into the module
module has to declare a field like "minkernelversion" in its header ...
just thinking out loud.
The problem with such systems is they lead always to incompatibilities
with ConTeXt installations (think about TeXLive) and we had one at the
end of last year when Hans changed the multilingual interface to allow a
persian interface.
minimum kernel version is no guarantee that the module will work with
future versions of ConTeXT :-)

Aditya
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-23 18:38:15 UTC
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
*You* want to write a test suite for ConTeXt?
The test suite is there. There is even a script in the test suit
that compares the outputs of two versions at pixel level. All we
need is people to submit tests and then someone to monitor the test
suite. See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Test
Is this still alive and used?

Wolfgang
Aditya Mahajan
2009-08-23 20:03:03 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
*You* want to write a test suite for ConTeXt?
The test suite is there. There is even a script in the test suit that
compares the outputs of two versions at pixel level. All we need is people
to submit tests and then someone to monitor the test suite. See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Test
Is this still alive and used?
It is alive (as in, you can submit test cases) but it is not used. I think
that Hans and Taco have made it clear that someone else need to volunteer
for running the test suite.

Sanjoy had some ideas, but then he became busy with other things.

I still think that it is a good idea for people to submit examples to the
test suite. Maybe having enough tests will be an incentive for someone to
write a regression suite.

Aditya
Oliver Buerschaper
2009-08-24 07:52:29 UTC
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
*You* want to write a test suite for ConTeXt?
The test suite is there. There is even a script in the test suit
that compares the outputs of two versions at pixel level. All we
need is people to submit tests and then someone to monitor the test
suite. See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Test
Yep, I almost forgot about that ... so we have a foundation to build
on! Someone then also needs to decide on which test code conforms to
(current) valid syntax (which is probably *not* just everything that
compiles ... think of deprecated code, hacks, workarounds etc. that
aren't considered best practices).
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
The problem with such systems is they lead always to
incompatibilities with ConTeXt installations (think about TeXLive)
and we had one at the end of last year when Hans changed the
multilingual interface to allow a persian interface.
minimum kernel version is no guarantee that the module will work
with future versions of ConTeXT :-)
Yes, but it's a start ...

Oliver
Oliver Buerschaper
2009-08-23 15:52:55 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
What's more important, the exit status of the context command is 0
(via echo $?) indicating that there was no problem at all! This
might turn out problematic as soon as documents are processed in a
batch run ... (like e.g. a regression test suite ;-)
*You* want to write a test suite for ConTeXt?
Well, not exactly ... this might be too ambitious an endeavour for one
person alone ;-)

I'm trying though to store a bunch of test cases locally which I
sporadically collect from the main mailing test whenever a bug report
shows up. If only to have something I can test my installation package
against ...

For the moment I'm mainly interested in whether these test cases
compile at all hence my remark about the exit status ... (After all,
if that can't be automated any further verification steps will be
pretty much useless I guess.)
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
Perhaps one could even integrate this requirement check into the
module loading code of the kernel. For example, one might enforce
that each valid module has to declare a field like
"minkernelversion" in its header ... just thinking out loud.
The problem with such systems is they lead always to
incompatibilities with older
ConTeXt installations (think about TeXLive) and we had one at the
end of last year
when Hans changed the multilingual interface to allow a persian
interface.
I agree that my suggestion would sacrifice backwards compatibility. At
the same time I'm not sure how much change to the MkIV kernel is
desirable given that MkII is considered frozen. I'm really in no
position to have an educated opinion on whether there should be as few
changes as possible or rather the occasional clear cut. It's just that
if you guys think that some clear cuts are due for MkIV anyway then
there will probably be never a better time than now to make module
loud ;-)

Oliver
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-23 18:48:21 UTC
Post by Oliver Buerschaper
I agree that my suggestion would sacrifice backwards compatibility.
At the same time I'm not sure how much change to the MkIV kernel is
desirable given that MkII is considered frozen. I'm really in no
position to have an educated opinion on whether there should be as
few changes as possible or rather the occasional clear cut. It's
just that if you guys think that some clear cuts are due for MkIV
anyway then there will probably be never a better time than now to
make module loading more bullet-proof. As I was saying, I'm just
thinking out loud ;-)
MkIV is ConTeXt’s feature without an doubt but it's not so easy as you
think.

I have myself two modules which work only with MkIV (simplefonts and
games) but
bigger ones like simpleslides or letter are just complexer styles and
you can't
expect from a user to upgrade to MkIV just to make a presentation or
to write
a short letter.

I thought about integrating the version check into \setupmodule
because the command
is only used in modules and available in MkII and MkIV but Thomas and
Aditya use it
in the simpleslides module to pass parameters to the module and this a
few times
at different places and not only at the start of the file.

Wolfgang
Aditya Mahajan
2009-08-23 20:06:44 UTC
I agree that my suggestion would sacrifice backwards compatibility. At the
same time I'm not sure how much change to the MkIV kernel is desirable
given that MkII is considered frozen. I'm really in no position to have an
educated opinion on whether there should be as few changes as possible or
rather the occasional clear cut. It's just that if you guys think that some
clear cuts are due for MkIV anyway then there will probably be never a
better time than now to make module loading more bullet-proof. As I was
saying, I'm just thinking out loud ;-)
MkIV is ConTeXt’s feature without an doubt but it's not so easy as you think.
I have myself two modules which work only with MkIV (simplefonts and
games) but bigger ones like simpleslides or letter are just complexer
styles and you can't expect from a user to upgrade to MkIV just to make
a presentation or to write a short letter.
I thought about integrating the version check into \setupmodule because
the command is only used in modules and available in MkII and MkIV but
Thomas and Aditya use it in the simpleslides module to pass parameters
to the module and this a few times at different places and not only at
the start of the file.
If you have a suggestion that will make things cleaner, we (Thomas and I)
can easily change the internals of simple slides to accomodate that.

Aditya
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-23 21:18:39 UTC
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
I thought about integrating the version check into \setupmodule
because the command is only used in modules and available in MkII
and MkIV but Thomas and Aditya use it in the simpleslides module to
pass parameters to the module and this a few times at different
places and not only at the start of the file.
If you have a suggestion that will make things cleaner, we (Thomas
and I) can easily change the internals of simple slides to
accomodate that.
To stop the TeX run we can have

\setupmodule[contextversion=2009.08.22]

at the begin of a module and ConTeXt will abort the run if the key
'contextversion'
has a value and context is older than the user has requested.

In your module you can either use \getparameters or – what I think you
want in your
module – \setvariables because it's not very different to \setupmodule.

Wolfgang
Aditya Mahajan
2009-08-23 22:17:58 UTC
Post by Aditya Mahajan
I thought about integrating the version check into \setupmodule because
the command is only used in modules and available in MkII and MkIV but
Thomas and Aditya use it in the simpleslides module to pass parameters to
the module and this a few times at different places and not only at the
start of the file.
If you have a suggestion that will make things cleaner, we (Thomas and I)
can easily change the internals of simple slides to accomodate that.
In your module you can either use \getparameters or – what I think you
want in your module – \setvariables because it's not very different to
\setupmodule.
I thought that \setupmodule was meant for passing parameters to modules,
mainly because of the following comment in core-fil

% \usemodule[newmml]
% \usemodule[newmml][a=b]
% \usemodule[x][newmml]
% \usemodule[x][newmml][a=b]
%
% \startmodule [mathml]
% \setupmodule[a=c] \relax [\currentmoduleparameter{a}] % user vars will
be set afterwards
% \setupmodule[a=c] \relax [\currentmoduleparameter{a}] % user vars are
now forgotten
% \stopmodule

As, \setupmodule is just \getparameters with a few defaults in place,
I can also use \getparamters with \currentmoduleparamters.
To stop the TeX run we can have
\setupmodule[contextversion=2009.08.22]
at the begin of a module and ConTeXt will abort the run if the key
'contextversion' has a value and context is older than the user has
requested.
Do you want this to check to be part of the definition of \setupmodule?
One difficultly that I see is that typically this will mean that we need
to set this separately for each engine.

Aditya
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-24 07:19:42 UTC
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
In your module you can either use \getparameters or – what I think
you want in your module – \setvariables because it's not very
different to \setupmodule.
I thought that \setupmodule was meant for passing parameters to
modules, mainly because of the following comment in core-fil
Is this passing parameters to the module, I don't think so!

\def\dosetupTitle[#1]%
{\setupmodule[simpleslides:title][#1]}
Post by Aditya Mahajan
As, \setupmodule is just \getparameters with a few defaults in
place, I can also use \getparamters with \currentmoduleparamters.
You use \currentmoduleparameter only in t-simpleslides to load a style
file
but \moduleparameter is used many other files to setvariables etc. and
the last
one is more like \getvariables (which use rawparameters)
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
To stop the TeX run we can have
\setupmodule[contextversion=2009.08.22]
at the begin of a module and ConTeXt will abort the run if the key
'contextversion' has a value and context is older than the user has
requested.
Do you want this to check to be part of the definition of
\setupmodule? One difficultly that I see is that typically this will
mean that we need to set this separately for each engine.
I don't need such a check, it was Olivers idea and I thought about a
idea how this
can be integrated without introducing a new command which breaks
backward compatibility.

Wolfgang
Aditya Mahajan
2009-08-24 14:27:50 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Aditya Mahajan
In your module you can either use \getparameters or – what I think you
want in your module – \setvariables because it's not very different to
\setupmodule.
I thought that \setupmodule was meant for passing parameters to modules,
mainly because of the following comment in core-fil
Is this passing parameters to the module, I don't think so!
\def\dosetupTitle[#1]%
{\setupmodule[simpleslides:title][#1]}
Oh those. I had forgotten about them :) I will change these to
\getvariables.
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Aditya Mahajan
As, \setupmodule is just \getparameters with a few defaults in place, I can
also use \getparamters with \currentmoduleparamters.
You use \currentmoduleparameter only in t-simpleslides to load a style file
but \moduleparameter is used many other files to setvariables etc. and the
last
one is more like \getvariables (which use rawparameters)
I agree.
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Aditya Mahajan
To stop the TeX run we can have
\setupmodule[contextversion=2009.08.22]
at the begin of a module and ConTeXt will abort the run if the key
'contextversion' has a value and context is older than the user has
requested.
Do you want this to check to be part of the definition of \setupmodule? One
difficultly that I see is that typically this will mean that we need to set
this separately for each engine.
I don't need such a check, it was Olivers idea and I thought about a idea how
this
can be integrated without introducing a new command which breaks backward
compatibility.
I meant that when you said
\setupmodule[contextversion=...]", what is the implementation you had in
mind. \setupmodule macro doing the checking, or the module writer doing
the checking.

Aditya
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-24 21:55:31 UTC
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
To stop the TeX run we can have
\setupmodule[contextversion=2009.08.22]
at the begin of a module and ConTeXt will abort the run if the
key 'contextversion' has a value and context is older than the
user has requested.
Do you want this to check to be part of the definition of
\setupmodule? One difficultly that I see is that typically this
will mean that we need to set this separately for each engine.
I don't need such a check, it was Olivers idea and I thought about
a idea how this
can be integrated without introducing a new command which breaks
backward compatibility.
I meant that when you said
\setupmodule[contextversion=...]", what is the implementation you
had in mind. \setupmodule macro doing the checking, or the module
writer doing the checking.
I think it's up to the developer to write something in the module,
e.g. http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/simplefonts/src/46a1f454bccc/files/t-simplefonts.tex
but it's not so hard to integrate it into the \setupmodule command.

% untested, it should only show how \setupmodule can be extended to
stop a tex run
% when a module is used with a too old context version

\def\c!contextversion{contextversion}

\def\doabortmodule#1#2#3%
{\doif{#2}\c!contextversion{\doifolderversionelse\contextversion{#3}
{\forcequitjob{#1}}\donothing}}

\def\dosetupmodule[#1][#2]%
{\scratchtoks\expandafter{\currentmoduleparameters}%
\ifsecondargument
\getparameters[\??md:#1:][#2]%
\expanded{\getparameters[\??md:#1:][\the\scratchtoks]}%
\processassignmentlist[#2]{\doabortmodule{#1}}%
\else
\getparameters[\??md:\currentmodule:][#1]%
\expanded{\getparameters[\??md:\currentmodule:][\the
\scratchtoks]}%
\processassignmentlist[#1]{\doabortmodule\currentmodule}%
\fi
\let\currentmoduleparameters\empty}

Wolfgang
Hans Hagen
2009-08-24 22:20:13 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
[...]
no need for toks

\expanded{\getparameters[\??md:#1:]\expandafter}\expandafter[\currentmoduleparameters]%

but maybe a \hetparameterscommand makes more sense -)
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
\processassignmentlist[#2]{\doabortmodule{#1}}%
\else
\getparameters[\??md:\currentmodule:][#1]%
\expanded{\getparameters[\??md:\currentmodule:][\the\scratchtoks]}%
\processassignmentlist[#1]{\doabortmodule\currentmodule}%
\fi
\let\currentmoduleparameters\empty}
but anyway, i wonder if we should go that route; normally context is
downward compatible and eventually mkiv will become more stable

Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-25 07:35:32 UTC
Post by Hans Hagen
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
\def\dosetupmodule[#1][#2]%
{\scratchtoks\expandafter{\currentmoduleparameters}%
\ifsecondargument
\getparameters[\??md:#1:][#2]%
\expanded{\getparameters[\??md:#1:][\the\scratchtoks]}%
no need for toks
\expanded{\getparameters[\??md:#1:]\expandafter}
\expandafter[\currentmoduleparameters]%
hey, you wrote \setupmodule and not me
Post by Hans Hagen
but maybe a \hetparameterscommand makes more sense -)
\hetparameterscommand?
Post by Hans Hagen
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
\processassignmentlist[#2]{\doabortmodule{#1}}%
\else
\getparameters[\??md:\currentmodule:][#1]%
\expanded{\getparameters[\??md:\currentmodule:][\the
\scratchtoks]}%
\processassignmentlist[#1]{\doabortmodule\currentmodule}%
\fi
\let\currentmoduleparameters\empty}
but anyway, i wonder if we should go that route; normally context is
downward compatible and eventually mkiv will become more stable
it was just a example how things can be done

Wolfgang
Aditya Mahajan
2009-08-25 01:39:14 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Aditya Mahajan
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
[...]
Thanks for clarifying. I also think that it is better to do this
selectively for each module rather than in the core.

Aditya
Oliver Buerschaper
2009-08-24 08:07:16 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
MkIV is ConTeXt’s feature without an doubt but it's not so easy as
you think.
I have myself two modules which work only with MkIV (simplefonts and
games) but
bigger ones like simpleslides or letter are just complexer styles
and you can't
expect from a user to upgrade to MkIV just to make a presentation or
to write
a short letter.
I thought about integrating the version check into \setupmodule
because the command
is only used in modules and available in MkII and MkIV but Thomas
and Aditya use it
in the simpleslides module to pass parameters to the module and this
a few times
at different places and not only at the start of the file.
Perhaps this is too simple ... what about some passive check on behalf
of the module? That is, would the MkII kernel evaluate another field
in the module's header upon loading or ignore it because it doesn't
recognize the additional info? In the latter case the MkIV kernel
could evaluate the additional header and refuse to load the module if
necessary.

Of course, this wouldn't prevent an MkIV only module from being loaded
in MkII but it would implement the compatibility check at least for
MkIV. But that's probably fine given that some modules are MkIV
exclusive already :-) And even for existing modules one will probably
have to split into (frozen?) MkII and current MkIV versions at some
point anyway ...

Well, just a thought.

Oliver
Jörg Hecke
2009-08-20 16:08:43 UTC
Hi,
... The reason is that the latest version of the t-simplefonts
module (which is the one you obtained) makes use of ConTeXt kernel
commands (\startprocesscommacommand) which seem to have only been
introduced lately. In other words, the version I packaged into the
experimental installer is too old for the current module. So not
your fault.
Ok. So the point is that I should search for an older version of the t-
simplefonts module which does not yet request this new and specific
kernel command, right?
(Or just skip the idea of trying to use Myriad Pro I assume)
Keep in mind though that this might happen frequently without
warning since you're working with development code here. For the
moment I'm merely trying to establish something along the lines of a
nightly installer build ... since there's no regression test suite I
can't even test whether anything works but the most basic features.
Also, modules don't check for a minimum kernel version required :-(
Hmm, yep. Quite a fair warning. OK. I was so naïve, that it would be a
breeze to add some modules simply by myself. My problem is really to
detect whether it was my stupidity (in 99% the case) or if something
else went wrong.
I do read the ntg-context list and many remarks ("This is broken in
MKIV", "Ah I see, just use this patch...") are quite kind of scary to
me, since I would be completely lost applying such patches, snippets
of code, etc. But overall, all the information and the help of the
context lists is really extremly informative and helpful and I am
learning lots of new things daily.

But using fonts is beyond my horizon at the moment, unfortunately.
Therefor I was keen on trying the simplefonts module.

I will definitely look forward to your next version of the installer.

many thanks again for all and regards
Jörg
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-20 16:46:40 UTC
Post by Jörg Hecke
Ok. So the point is that I should search for an older version of the
t-simplefonts module which does not yet request this new and
specific kernel command, right?
You can try the following version http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/simplefonts/src/0a2adbda3117/files/t-simplefonts.tex
(or use the attached version, was on the garden afair) but i won't
provide support in the case there is a problem with them.
Post by Jörg Hecke
(Or just skip the idea of trying to use Myriad Pro I assume)
There is a package with typescripts (including Myriad Pro) on the
garden you can use.

Wolfgang
Jörg Hecke
2009-08-20 20:26:24 UTC
<t-simplefonts-2009.07.14.zip>
Wow. I have used the attached version and it worked right out of the
box with the Context Minimals version installed by the installer of
Oliver and his instructions.
You can try the following version http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/simplefonts/src/0a2adbda3117/files/t-simplefonts.tex
(or use the attached version, was on the garden afair) but i won't
provide support in the case there is a problem with them.
Yes, I understand that. Many thanks for your help! The simple test
file runs just fine right now.
There is a package with typescripts (including Myriad Pro) on the
garden you can use.
Thanks for that tip. You mean here: <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TypeScripts
?
Can't find that package there. Seems to be a little bit tricky to
find. I'll keep on searching.

Many thanks for your help so far!

Regards
Jörg
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-21 15:56:08 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
?
Can't find that package there. Seems to be a little bit tricky to
find. I'll keep on searching.
The zip is here http://modules.contextgarden.net/typescripts and the
dev version
can be found at http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/typescripts/ but as i don't
need them
myself other users are needed to add more typescripts.

Wolfgang
Jörg Hecke
2009-08-21 20:45:51 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
The zip is here http://modules.contextgarden.net/typescripts and the
dev version
can be found at http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/typescripts/ but as i
don't need them
myself other users are needed to add more typescripts.
Ahh many thanks for the links. I have not looked at the modules site.
I'll download it right away and will try to get it work in the
standard TeXlive Context (MKII) distribution.

Thanks and a nice WE!
Jörg
Wolfgang Schuster
2009-08-22 10:42:29 UTC
Post by Jörg Hecke
Ahh many thanks for the links. I have not looked at the modules
site. I'll download it right away and will try to get it work in the
standard TeXlive Context (MKII) distribution.
The typescripts in the package work only with LuaTeX or XeTeX, to use
them
with TeXLive 2008 process your files with 'texexec --xetex <filename>'.

There will be *no* support for pdfTeX from me.

Wolfgang
Jörg Hecke
2010-02-14 21:56:21 UTC
Hi Wolfgang,

I am trying to use your t-letter module. Thanks to your letter documentation and the examples (letter-examples.zip) from your web side I was able to set up the letter.

But I am failing to use the resume part:-(
I would like to use your classic or casual layout, but I have no idea how to use them.

An excerpt from your file "correspondence-resume-examples.tex":

%---begin resume.tex---
\usemodule[resume]
\useresumestyle [classic]

\setresumevalue{image} {\blackrule[width=25mm,height=25mm]}
\setresumevalue{firstname} {John}
\setresumevalue{familyname}{Doe}
\setresumevalue{title} {Resum\'e title (optional)}
\setresumevalue{quote} {Some quote (optional)}
\setresumevalue{street} {street and number}
\setresumevalue{town} {postcode city}
\setresumevalue{mobile} {mobile (optional)}
\setresumevalue{phone} {phone (optional)}
\setresumevalue{fax} {fax (optional)}
\setresumevalue{email} {email (optional)}
\setresumevalue{info} {additional information (optional)}

\startresume
\section{Education}

\cventry{year--year}{Degree}{Institution}{City}{\it Grade}{Description}
\cventry{year--year}{Degree}{Institution}{City}{\it Grade}{Description}

\section{Master thesis}

\cvline{title}{\em Title}
\cvline{supervisors}{Supervisors}
\cvline{description}{\tx Short thesis abstract}
\stopresume
%---end resume.tex---

does not compile at all, which tells me that I do not have a clue how to setup a proper tex frame and how to use it.

My environment: Context-Mnimals on MacOS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
ConTeXt ver: 2010.01.26 18:39 MKIV fmt: 2010.1.27 int: english/english on

Is it possible to get me on the right track to use your module? I must be doing something really stupid, but currently I have no idea what I have to do to get your resume module running.
Do you have a minimal example perhaps?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards

Jörg Hecke
[22:47][~/Desktop/Lebenslauf]
➔ context jhresume.tex
MTXrun | run 1: luatex --fmt="/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/b1c97208f21e2e812306e4f74f4bfba4/formats/cont-en" --lua="/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/b1c97208f21e2e812306e4f74f4bfba4/formats/cont-en.lui" --backend=pdf "./jhresume.tex"
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.50.0-2009122423
\write18 enabled.
(jhresume.tex
ConTeXt ver: 2010.01.26 18:39 MKIV fmt: 2010.1.27 int: english/english
system : cont-new loaded
(/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
(/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv))
system : cont-fil loaded
(/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system : cont-sys.rme loaded
(/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme (/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-def.mkiv) (/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-lua.tex) (/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex (/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.mkiv)) (/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex (/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.mkiv)) (/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex (/Users/jh/context_minimals/2010-01-27/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv)))
system : jhresume.top loaded
(jhresume.top)
fonts : preloading latin modern fonts
bodyfont : 12pt rm is loaded
language : language en is active
(m-resume.tex)
system : module resume not found
! Undefined control sequence.
<recently read> \useresumestyle
l.2 \useresumestyle
[classic]
?
Wolfgang Schuster
2010-02-14 22:22:19 UTC
Post by Jörg Hecke
Hi Wolfgang,
I am trying to use your t-letter module. Thanks to your letter documentation and the examples (letter-examples.zip) from your web side I was able to set up the letter.
But I am failing to use the resume part:-(
I would like to use your classic or casual layout, but I have no idea how to use them.
I'm sorry but there is something missing in documentation, the resume part
is not really written and the two styles are just included from a older
module of me and you have to load them with

\usemodule[resume] % load the module
\useresumeinterface[moderncv] % load the moderncv-interface
\useresumestyle[classic|casual] % load a style

you can also do this with one command

\usemodule[resume][interface=moderncv,style=casual]
I attached two complete working examples.
Post by Jörg Hecke
Is it possible to get me on the right track to use your module? I must be doing something really stupid, but currently I have no idea what I have to do to get your resume module running.
Do you have a minimal example perhaps?
(m-resume.tex)
You have a module with the m-resume.tex on your system which is loaded
instead
of my module, you can now either remove this from the current directory
or force
ConTeXT to load my module with '\usemodule[t][resume][...]' in your
document.

Wolfgang
Jörg Hecke
2010-02-14 23:35:07 UTC
Hi Wolfgang,
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Jörg Hecke
But I am failing to use the resume part:-(
I would like to use your classic or casual layout, but I have no idea how to use them.
I'm sorry but there is something missing in documentation, the resume part
is not really written and the two styles are just included from a older
module of me and you have to load them with
\usemodule[resume] % load the module
\useresumeinterface[moderncv] % load the moderncv-interface
\useresumestyle[classic|casual] % load a style
you can also do this with one command
\usemodule[resume][interface=moderncv,style=casual]
You have a module with the m-resume.tex on your system which is loaded instead
of my module, you can now either remove this from the current directory or force
ConTeXT to load my module with '\usemodule[t][resume][...]' in your document.
Many thanks for your prompt and brilliant help! Your examples do work right away!
Will try to use one of your examples.

Thanks again.

Jörg
Jörg Hecke
2010-02-17 21:57:05 UTC
Hi Wolfgang,
... I am trying to use your t-letter module. Thanks to your letter documentation and the examples (letter-examples.zip) from your web side I was able to set up the letter.
sorry for bothering you again.
I am using your letter module, but it seems that I am not able to use a 2 column itemize environment?

Minimal example:
---begin itemize_letter.tex---
\usemodule[letter]
\definecolor [resumc] [r=.20, g=.40, b=.65]
\enableregime[utf-8]
% Sprache
\mainlanguage[de]
% UnterstÃŒtzung fÃŒr Farben
\setupcolors[state=start]
% Kopfzeile
\setupletterstyle [head]
[alternative=right, fromrule=top]

\setupletterstyle
[whitespace=medium,
bodyfont=sans]

\setupletter
[alternative=d,
list={phone,email,date,yourmail,yourref},
]

\setupletter
[yourref,yourmail,myref,mymail,line,name,room,phone,fax,line,date,email]
[titlestyle=\tfxx,
separator=: ]

\setupletter
[phone=+49 543 210\,4561,
yourmail=05. Februar 2010,
yourref=B11r,
email=***@plotz.com,
date=\currentdate]

\setupletter
[fromname=Jörg Hecke,
fromaddress=Bei mir\\12345 zu Hause]

\setupletter
[toname=bei Dir,
toaddress=Herr nicht Hier\\KrÃŒmelstr. 23 \\54321 bei Dir\\Germany]

\startsetups letter:foot \rightaligned{Seite \correspagenumber\ von \numberofcorrespages} \stopsetups

\starttext

\startletter
[subject=Verteiben der Position \quotation{nicht hier {\bf B11r} },
opening=Sehr geehrter Herr nicht Hier\textcomma,
closing=Mit freundlichen GrÌßen\crlf\crlf\crlf Jörg Hecke]

\input{tufte}

\startitemize[columns, two]
\item solide wenn nicht noch mehr
\item Emus zu verwalten
\item Gnus verschiffen
\item Herdenentwicklung \& Schafsdesign
\item Wollwaschung
\item Milchverkostung (intern \& extern)
\item PrÀsentationen (intern \& extern)
\item HundefÃŒhrung
\stopitemize

\dorecurse{3}{\input knuth\par}
\stopletter

\stoptext

---end itemize_letter.tex---

If I replace "\startitemize[columns, two]" with e.g. "\startitemize[packed], everything works fine.

So, not all itemize features are supported, or am I doing (sigh! again) something terribly wrong?

Thanks for your help or information.

Best regards

Jörg
Wolfgang Schuster
2010-02-17 22:18:15 UTC
Post by Jörg Hecke
Hi Wolfgang,
sorry for bothering you again.
I am using your letter module, but it seems that I am not able to use a 2 column itemize environment?
No idea what’s the problem but as a workaround you can use this:

\startsimplecolumns[n=2]
\startitemize
\item ...
\stopitemize
\stopsimplecolumns
Post by Jörg Hecke
\startletter
[subject=Verteiben der Position \quotation{nicht hier {\bf B11r} },
opening=Sehr geehrter Herr nicht Hier\textcomma,
closing=Mit freundlichen Grüßen\crlf\crlf\crlf Jörg Hecke]
\setupletterstyle[closing][inbetween={\blank[3*line]}]

\startletter
[subject={Vertreiben der Position \quotation{nicht hier {\bf B11r}}},
opening={Sehr geehrter Herr nicht Hier,},
closing={Mit freundlichen Grüßen},
signature={Jörg Hecke}]

Wolfgang
Jörg Hecke
2010-02-17 22:46:04 UTC
Hi Wolfgang,

many thanks for the brilliant tips!
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
\startsimplecolumns[n=2]
\startitemize
\item ...
Thanks. That's a smart workaround!
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Jörg Hecke
\startletter
[subject=Verteiben der Position \quotation{nicht hier {\bf B11r} },
opening=Sehr geehrter Herr nicht Hier\textcomma,
closing=Mit freundlichen Grüßen\crlf\crlf\crlf Jörg Hecke]
\setupletterstyle[closing][inbetween={\blank[3*line]}]
\startletter
[subject={Vertreiben der Position \quotation{nicht hier {\bf B11r}}},
opening={Sehr geehrter Herr nicht Hier,},
closing={Mit freundlichen Grüßen},
signature={Jörg Hecke}]
Again: Wow.I did not know this. So many thinks to learn for me.
I have a really nice nice cv and letter thanks to your help and great module.

Regards
Jörg
Wolfgang Schuster
2010-02-23 11:59:22 UTC
Post by Jörg Hecke
Hi Wolfgang,
I am using your letter module, but it seems that I am not able to use a 2 column itemize environment?
Fixed.

Wolfgang
Jörg Hecke
2010-02-24 08:55:56 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schuster
Post by Jörg Hecke
I am using your letter module, but it seems that I am not able to use a 2 column itemize environment?
Fixed.
Brilliant. Thanks. So, I have to update to the latest minimals, or download the latest version from contextgarden modules site, right?

Jörg